Blue Whales and Dolphins
- Watching spinner dolphins from Kalpitiya on the northwest coast
- Jeep safaris to see the wildlife of Uda Walawe and Yala National Parks
- Boat trips to watch blue whales from Mirissa on the south coast
- Explore the South Coast from a comfortable hotel and visit historic Galle
The warm waters around Sri Lanka have a wealth of cetacean life. The common blue whale, killer whale (orca), sperm whales, melon-headed whale, beaked whale, Cuvier's dwarf whale and, if exceptionally lucky, the Indian blue whale can all be spotted Large numbers of spinner dolphins can also be seen and using bases on two different coasts will maximise the viewing possibilities.
However Sri Lanka has a lot more to offer than just marine life, and this two week trip will also give you a flavour of the southern part of the country. Two days are set aside for wildlife viewing in Uda Walawe and Yala National Parks, where you'll hopefully see, among other things, leopards and some of the healthy populations of wild elephant. And while staying at the coastal base near Mirissa, your afternoons will be free to explore the surrounding area.
- Day 1. Depart UK
- Overnight flight to Colombo
- Days 2-4. Kalpitiya
- Arrive Colombo and drive to Kalpitiya. Dolphin and whale watching boat trips off the northwest coast.
- Day 5. Udawalawe
- Long drive aross the island to the south-east.
- Day 6. Tissamaharama
- Morning jeep safari in Uda Walawe National Park - see elephant, deer, jackal and buffalo; afternoon drive to Tissamaharama.
- Day 7. Yala National Park
- Jeep safari in Yala National Park - see leopard, elephant, deer, buffalo, crocodile and many species of waterfowl.
- Days 8-12. Mirissa
- Morning jeep safari in Yala NP, then transfer to Mirissa on the south coast. Daily whale watching trips from Mirissa. Free time for optional shore-based activities
- Day 13. Colombo
- Drive up the west coast to Colombo.
- Day 14. Depart
- Transfer to Colombo airport and fly back to the UK
- Departures: 9 March 2013, 30 November 2013, 8 March 2014
- Flight incl. price: From £2,415
- Single supp: Please enquire
- What's included: International flights, transfers, 12 nights hotel accommodation, all breakfasts, whale and dolphin watching boat trips, jeep safaris in national parks.
- Group size: 12 maximum